LML Virtual Summer School 2021
The London Mathematical Laboratory (LML) is pleased to announce its 2021 Summer School.
Applications are now open (deadline 30 April 2021).
Students will receive a stipend of 500 Euro (EUR) at the start of the Summer School.
This will be held as a virtual school in collaboration with The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) from 5 to 30 July 2021. The school engages postgraduate students for a period of four weeks on research projects under the supervision of active research scientists.
Each project addresses one or more open questions in order to expose students to the frontier of scientific cross-disciplinary research in several fields (statistical physics, systems ecology, quantitative economics, dynamical systems, information and large deviation theory, and neural networks). This provides a first-hand experience of “research in action”, where asking the right questions is at least as important as finding the right answers. Many previous students have found this a life changing experience that transformed their view of science as an activity and as a possible career.
You can read about past student experiences of the LML Summer Schools here.
2. Projects and Supervisors
A full description of the projects available and the project supervisors can be found here.
Supervisors include LML Fellows and colleagues from the ICTP and the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA). Students will also attend a series of scientific lectures and a scientific writing course, and the School will culminate with student presentations of their research.
DOWNLOAD PROJECT DESCRIPTIONS
- The Summer School is aimed at postgraduates.
- Applications are accepted from all countries. Students from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
- Students must be available weekdays Monday to Friday (9am to 5pm – Central European Time) for the full duration of the summer school.
- The School will be conducted in English, so students must have sufficiently good verbal and written English to produce technical reports and give seminars.
- Students will need access to a computer and a sufficiently good internet connection to join video calls.
- A stipend of 500 Euro (EUR) will be paid to students at the start of the School to help defray any costs of participation. This does not constitute payment for work.
To submit an application, please see the ‘How to Apply’ section below.
The deadline for applications is midnight (CET) Friday 30th April 2021.
4. How to Apply
Applications for the LML Summer School must be submitted through the ICTP website.
Click on the Summer School ICTP event page here. Once on this page, you will see a menu on the left-hand side of the page. Click on ‘Apply Now’ in the menu. If you do not already have an account at ICTP, you will be asked to set up an account by submitting contact and educational information. Once your account is set up, you will be able to submit your application for the Summer School.
To apply you will need:
- A curriculum vitae (PDF format);
- A statement describing why you wish to participate in the Summer School (no more than 250 words).
- A statement explaining why you wish to research your chosen project (no more than 250 words).
5. FAQs and Further Information
1. Where is the Summer School being held?
Owing to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, LML has decided to hold the 2021 Summer School virtually. Students will need access to the internet in order to participate in the event.
2. What are the days / hours for the Summer School?
The Summer School takes place weekdays (Central European Time) from 5th July 2020 – 30th July 2021. During this time, students will be expected to attend on a full-time basis. We are unable to accept students who cannot commit to this.
3. How many places are there on the Summer School?
We typically accept 1-2 places per project.
4. When will I hear back as to whether my application has been successful?
All applicants will be notified as to whether their application has been successful by the end of May 2021.
5. What educational experience is required to apply?
Applicants should hold or be studying for a degree in a relevant subject. The projects are envisaged as suitable for postgraduate students. The summer school will be conducted in English. All students must have a good level of spoken and written English to participate.
6. What costs are involved in participating in the LML Summer School?
Participation in the Summer School is free of charge. A stipend of 500 Euro (EUR) will be provided to students at the start of the School to help defray any costs of participation.
7. My question isn’t answered here, what do I do?
Contact the ICTP Secretariat by email firstname.lastname@example.org