LML Summer School 2020
LML is pleased to announce its 2020 Summer School. This will be held at the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) in Trieste, Italy from Monday 6th July to Friday 31st July 2020. Applications are now open.
Postgraduate students will spend four weeks researching a project under the supervision of LML Fellows and colleagues from the ICTP and the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA). Project descriptions can be found here. Students will also attend a series of scientific lectures and a scientific writing course, and the School will culminate with student presentations of their research.
Travel to and from the Summer School, accommodation, and meals will be provided.
Summer School supervisors are active scientists and typically choose open research questions as projects. For many students, this is their first exposure to scientific progress in action, where asking the right questions is at least as important as finding the right answers. Previous students have found this experience changes their view of science as an activity and as a possible career.
LML will hold its Summer School – in Trieste, Italy. The ICTP is a hub for physicists and mathematicians and a driving force behind global efforts to advance scientific expertise in the developing world. Many ICTP alumni have been recognised for their contributions to science, education, research, and technology, while the centre has helped stem the scientific ‘brain drain’ from developing nations. ICTP is recognised by UNESCO as a Category 1 Institute.
By collaborating with ICTP and SISSA, the LML Summer School brings three world-leading scientific fellowships together and creates a unique opportunity for students.
- The Summer School is aimed at postgraduates.
- Applications are accepted from all countries and students from developing countries are encouraged to apply.
- Students must be able to travel from their home country to Italy and stay for the entire duration of the School.
- Students will be responsible for obtaining visas, travel insurance, and health insurance, if needed or desired.
- The School will be conducted in English, so students must have sufficiently good verbal and written English to produce technical reports and give seminars.
How to Apply
To submit an application for the LML Summer School 2020, please complete our online application form here.
To complete the online application form you will need to upload:
- a curriculum vitae;
a statement explaining your choice of project and why you wish to research your chosen project (no more than 500 words). A full list of the projects on offer can be found here; and,
- a recommendation letter from your current or most recent university (to be sent separately by the referee to email@example.com);
The deadline for applications is midnight (GMT) Monday 10th February 2020.
All documents must be received by this date in order to complete the application.
Please visit our FAQs page for further information.